Thursday, August 4, 2011

County Road Lemonade Stand

For the longest time (pretty much every summer) the kids ask if they can have a lemonade stand. Every summer I manage to put them off. I'm not doing this to be mean or squash their entrepreneurial spirit, but to keep them from experiencing failure. Before you start judging me and thinking I'm a bad mom, seriously we live out in the middle of nowhere USA and the people that do drive by are going at least 10 mph above the speed limit. Which is the exact reason why I will never spend time putting a garage sale together, but that's another blog post. Back to lemonade...for some reason when they asked me yesterday, before I could really think about it we were making lemonade, a sign and loading up the Gator to head to end of the driveway.


Before we left the house, I made a phone call to their daddy to let him know that when he got home he better be prepared to buy a little (or alot) of lemonade. :) And right as we were walking out the door the phone rang; it was their Bo (Big R's mom) to see if we were home (yea ~ another customer!)

As we were sitting in the Gator, sun beating down on us, waiting patiently to sell our first cup of lemonade, R commented on how he really hoped we had some real customers. I asked him what he meant; he said he wanted real customers who we hadn't talked to and told them to have their wallets open. I laughed so hard at this; it really was funny.

When it was all said and done the kids sold 10 cups of lemonade and half of those were unsolicited. Ok, so 10 cups @ $.25 per cup is only $2.50. They somehow managed to walk away with $16.50 (all of which R wants to put away for our Hawaii fund.) The moral of the story is this: If you're cute, live out in the country and take a chance on a lemonade stand you might just make a few bucks and a few memories. Pretty sure they will remember this for a long time...and me? I will remember to let the kids take chances even if they might end up disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...