Saturday, May 28, 2011

The 105 degree Ride

Let me just start by saying I'm a wimp ~ a really big, I don't like to be outside when it's over 90 degrees, wimp. When the kids found out we had to go to town to round up supplies for their daddy, they started asking to go to the park. With gas prices the way they are I hated to waste a perfectly good trip to town, so we loaded up their bikes and decided we would head to the park with the longest sidewalk. Needless to say, we lasted long enough for them to ride all the way around the park once before we were loading the bikes back in the Tahoe ~ it was hot!


As the kids ride their bikes on the safety of the park sidewalk under the watchful eye of their mom, I think back to the summertime freedom I enjoyed as a girl growing up in small town America. I experienced a freedom unlike anything my kids will ever know. I remember my friend Pebble and I riding over what seemed like the entire town. We would visit friends and  go to a convenient store close to her house and hang out forever playing video games. You always hear people say this and it seems like such a cliche, but things seemed so much simpler back then. A part of me wishes my children could experience the same feelings of freedom, but the other 95% of me is happy to keep them safe and sound and riding on the park sidewalk. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...