Friday, May 27, 2011

Operation Summer Fun is Underway...


Well it's officially the first full day of summer vacation and no one could be happier than this mama! In addition to my plan to keep the chaos to a minimum and the happiness no a maximum, I also want to keep a photo journal of everything we do this summer. For the past few years there's been a trend in the digital scrapbooking community to capture a photo a day for an entire year. It's called Project 365 and sounds like a huge undertaking. But after listening to one of my favorite podcasts the other day (The Paperclipping Roundtable) I was inspired by Stacy Julian and her 180 day project she was doing for her son's Sr. year of high school. Why not take one picture a day to document our summer; that, in addition to the kids journaling will tell the entire story. I love this idea!!


Water balloon fight and jumping on the trampoline ~ last day of school
So, here's the back story...R thinks it's pure torture when K has a friend over and he doesn't; this day was no exception, but you can tell by the smile on his face that it wasn't all bad. My two have always loved water balloons and after watching them have such a great time yesterday I made a mental note to always have them on hand for the last day of school. Next year we may have to make it a big deal and invite lots of kids to join in the fun!

You've heard that little saying, "Mama knows best?" Well, this mama, just like all you mamas out there, usually do; I kid you not, not five seconds after I said, "Don't slam the door. Someone's gonna get their fingers smashed," I heard a blood curdling scream. I have never heard R scream like that before...apparently he was trying to get out of his bedroom and the girls slammed the door on his leg. Ok, I'm one of those moms who usually tells her kids to shake it off, but this looked like it really hurt. Once he calmed down and we had ice applied to the wound, he starts complaining that something like this always happens when K has a friend over. This incident brought back a great childhood memory I just couldn't help sharing with him.

When I was about R's age I used to go over to my friend Mitzi's house. She had a brother who was two years older than us and we delighted in torturing him. Thoroughly enjoying his attempts at trying to catch us to pound us in the ground. Of course he never caught us; we always seemed to make it to the bathroom just in time to lock him out. I'm sure he hated it when his little sister had a friend over, but we had so much fun! I can totally empathise with R being the oldest in my family, but I have no idea what it's like to be the older brother. I loved it that I could share this story of my past with him. I now have a whole new appreciation for Mitzi's brother, and I kinda feel bad about the way we treated him. :)

I feel like I must add ~ the girls weren't being mean to R they were just playing chase. It's funny how things happen that bring up childhood memories that haven't been brought to the surface in a long time. I love how stories of my childhood are being intertwined with those of my children. In a nutshell, I just love telling the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...