Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I want to be Hands Free ~

We're having everyone over tomorrow for the 4th so last night I promised myself I would get up and work out first thing before I finished getting things ready. Thanks to my sweet hubby for waking me up at the crack of dawn I fullfilled my promise. After my work out, I cleaned a little and decided to sit down, have a cup of tea and catch up on some blog posts...

I have been sitting here crying my eyes out for the last five minutes. I often share the latest posts from the Hands Free Mama blog on my FB page, so when I saw she had a new post up I told myself I would read it but I wasn't going to share it. I don't want to overdo a good thing right? Well, I get half way through the post and I'm bawling like a baby. This is good stuff people! And I mean in a way that makes me want to reverse time and go back to when R was a baby good.

I can hear his little 2 year old voice in my head just as if he was standing right next to me, "Pay toys mommy. Pay toys wif me mommy." Yes, I played toys, but I also cleaned constantly and talked on the phone ALOT. No, I didn't have a cool phone or an iPad or WiFi back then, but I had a cordless phone and that's all I needed to be distracted from my little guy. I think he's so grown up now and he's only 10. He still wants me to play games, sit with him and watch t.v. Right now we're in the middle of reading Tim Tebow's book together. We do connect, but I feel like there are so many distractions that in the middle of being together that we're still disconnected.

We watched a show on the Discovery channel the other day called "Head Games." It's a pretty neat show that shows how our brains work in different situations. It's scientific and he loves it. On this particular show they were showing how people react when they are listening to one end of a phone conversation. In short, they get annoyed and cannot concentrate on what they're doing for trying to figure out the other person's conversation. What must my children feel like when they are the third party to my one way conversations. Yuck!

I cannot tell you how many times I've heard K say, "Get off your stupid phone!" Alot of the times I'm texting moms of friends setting up sleep-overs for her, but that's beside the point and yes "stupid" is a bad word in our house, but it's still said ~ don't judge me. :) The fact that she says that is proof enough that she is resentful of my phone. Pathetic.

You know how people say ~ When you're on your deathbed you're not going to wish you worked one more day or cleaned your house one more time (I'm ad libbing here.) Anyway, I'm pretty sure we're not going to be wishing we had sent one more text or posted one more status update, but we are going to wish we had spent more time with the ones we love!

If what I've said has resonated with you, you can go to The Hands Free Revolution page on FB and join the many people who are vowing to put down their phones and iPads, turn of their computers and connect with their children.

I just want to be present in the moment. I want my memories to be crystal clear and not muddled by technology. I want my kids to know THEY are what's most important. I want to be a hands free mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...