Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Is Cursive Writing a Lost Art?

Disclaimer: This post is based on my own personal opinion and is in no way, shape or form meant to offend anyone.

What the heck is the deal with cursive writing these days. The first time I realized the kids weren't learning this skill in the public schools was back in 2004 when my cousin graduated from high school. We received a thank you note from her and it was written in print; even her name was printed. My mom and I wondered why, so after a quick phone call to my aunt we found out that she wasn't taught cursive writing in school. What?!? We couldn't believe this. I mean yes, computers are taking over the world, but not teaching cursive in school? Seriously?

So imagine my surprise when in 2010 my son (who is a third grader) starts learning how to cursive write. I was ecstatic. Yes, we had trouble regarding a silly pencil grip that was meant to correct his improper pencil hold; yes, AR was a nightmare and yes we couldn't wait to move on to fourth grade ~ but by golly that child learned how to write in cursive.

Fast forward to last week. R is learning the value of writing a good thank you note. This has not been a pleasant experience. I'm pretty sure he would rather have all this fingernails ripped out, and quite frankly it's pure torture for a momma who's trying to teach her child to be thankful. Recently, we have received numerous thank you notes from older kids (mainly high school age) and all but one has been written in print. Again. What?? Then I realized that the thank you notes R had already written were all in print. Yikes!!

So, what's a mom to do? I'll tell you what I did. I opened up Photoshop, created a cool thank you card, turned it over and lightly drew straight lines every 1/2 inch and proceeded to tell R that every note here on out was to be written in cursive. My boy has been working diligently for days on these cards. He is taking pride in his handwriting (which is very nice btw) and I figure if he can knock out a couple cards a day, he'll be finished in no time.

I'm pretty positive that R's third grade teacher will never read this, but I just have to say "Thank You" not just to her, but to all the teachers who take time out of their busy "Star" curriculum schedules to teach our kids cursive writing. I truly do believe it is quickly becoming a lost art ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...